The Plant Biology Department welcomes all to apply to our MS and PhD programs. We strive for a diverse community who can elevate our program and research in all forms of plant biology. Our department takes all required documents into consideration when assessing applications. We have no minimum requirements, except for the TOEFL examination.
The most successful applicants to the Plant Biology program typically have at least a bachelor’s degree with one year of biology, or its equivalent, and one year each of chemistry, physics and mathematics. They typically have a GPA of 3.3 or higher with no less than a 3.0 major. GRE scores are within 75th percentile on the verbal and within the 80th percentile on the quantitative. Admission is contingent on a faculty member’s ability to support your research and ensure funding opportunity.
Summary of Application Process
- Submit the required documents by November 25, 2019 to your Student Portal.
- The required online application is found at MSU Graduate School’s website: https://grad.msu.edu/apply.
- Choose either the “Domestic Applicants” (U.S. citizens) or “International Applicants” link. https://admissions.msu.edu/your-account/
- You will be given an applicant ID number when you create a new application. Save the applicant ID number as you will need it to log in to your application and to log in to your Student Portal, where all documents should be uploaded.
- Submit your application when you have uploaded all required documents.
- You must pay your application fee $65 (domestic) or $75 (international) for your application to be complete.
- If you are financially unable to pay the application fee, visit the Application Fee Waiver site at: https://grad.msu.edu/application-fee-waiver for assistance.
- Contact the faculty you are interested in working with.
All documents must be uploaded to your Student Portal by Monday, November 25, 2019 for full consideration. Decisions about acceptance are made early Spring Semester, 2020.
- MSU Application for Admission to Graduate Programs M.S. code: 7018 Ph.D. code: 7019
- Academic Statement Upload directly as a PDF to your Student Portal.
- Personal Statement Uploaded directly as a PDF to your Student Portal.
- Letters of Recommendation Uploaded as PDF by your recommender.
- Official Transcript Directly sent to MSU Admissions by the institutions you attended.
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) Scores Directly sent to MSU Admissions from the Educational Testing Service. Institution Code: 1465 Department Code for Plant Biology is 0205
- Faculty and Research Interest Form Upload directly to Student Profile
- TOEFL scores (INTERNATIONAL APPLICANTS ONLY) Institution Code: 1465 Department Code for Plant Biology is 35
- Financial Affidavit and Proof of Financial Support (INTERNATIONAL APPLICANTS ONLY)