The Plant Biology Department welcomes all to apply to our MS and PhD programs. We strive for a diverse community who can elevate our program and research in all forms of plant biology. Our department takes all required documents into consideration when assessing applications. We have no minimum requirements, except for the TOEFL examination.
The most successful applicants to the Plant Biology program typically have at least a bachelor’s degree with one year of biology, or its equivalent, and one year each of chemistry, physics and mathematics. They typically have a GPA of 3.3 or higher with no less than a 3.0 major. GRE scores are within 75th percentile on the verbal and within the 80th percentile on the quantitative. Admission is contingent on a faculty member’s ability to support your research and ensure funding opportunity.
Summary of Application Process
- Submit the required documents by December 1, 2019 to your Student Portal.
- The required online application is found at MSU Graduate School’s website: https://grad.msu.edu/apply.
- Choose either the “Domestic Applicants” (U.S. citizens) or “International Applicants” link. https://admissions.msu.edu/your-account/
- You will be given an applicant ID number when you create a new application. Save the applicant ID number as you will need it to log in to your application and to log in to your Student Portal, where all documents should be uploaded.
- Submit your application when you have uploaded all required documents.
- You must pay your application fee $65 (domestic) or $75 (international) for your application to be complete.
- If you are financially unable to pay the application fee, visit the Application Fee Waiver site at: https://grad.msu.edu/application-fee-waiver for assistance.
- Contact the faculty you are interested in working with.